Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Boston

We're in Boston. We arrived Saturday, and have been catching up with friends/the city since getting here. It's a bit overwhelming--like we have been on a long vacation.

Anyway, of course we've been out in the city, going to favorite places. We celebrated my birthday with lots of friends!

Before we left, I finished a quick version of Theresa's huswife pattern, so I could bring along my embroidery tools. I really like how it turned out, and can't wait to handsew the next one!





I've finished a couple of embroideries, which I'm not quite sure what I'll do with yet, but it's nice to have something done.





And of course, catching up with the city means "finding treasures" or as my husband might call it: "spending money." (I didn't spend much, honey!) Buttons and ribbon, little bits of Boston to bring home with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to see someone else making and using a huswif! I absolutely love your example and am inspired to make a similar version for myself.

karyn said...

OMG. firstly, i had no idea what the term 'huswif' meant, so thank you for teaching me something new! i've been plotting to make one for myself for my sewing tools and yours is just adorable. you're sending me off in a tailspin to go do some historical research and get some design ideas and hopefully make one very very soon!

Jessie Keating said...

Thanks Natalie Jo! Can't wait to see it!

Karyn--I did a Google search before I got the pattern, and there is some pretty good info out there. Huswifes seem to have been pretty well-used back in the day. :O)

Anonymous said...

Well, happy birthday! I like reading about what you're up to and am jealous you get to go back to Boston. I still plan on going there someday... :)
-Your friend Jan