Saturday, December 5, 2009

Crock Pot Recipe, Chicken and Apple Curry

This is one of my favorite dishes. Seriously, it's so good! And I don't usually like curry! (No picture, though, because I can't photograph food. It just looks icky.)

Chicken and Apple Curry

3 T. Butter
1/2 onion, chopped coarsely
2 apples, cored and chopped coarsely (I like the skin on)
1 sweet potato, chopped coarsely (I like the skin on)
3 T. flour
2 T. curry powder
2 chicken breasts, chopped coarsely
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 C. raisins (I like golden)
salt and pepper to taste

Turn crock pot to high.

Saute apple, onion, and sweet potato until apple and onion are soft. Add salt, pepper, curry powder, and flour and cook for about 1 minute. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer while you prepare the chicken.

Place chicken in bottom of crock pot, then pour sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with raisins (if you don't want them plump when you eat them, wait until just before you serve. But I like the raisins to cook in the sauce.)

Let cook for at least 2 hours, but all day is fine too. Just make sure you turn it down if you're gone for awhile.

I serve this with jasmine rice, but we've also had it over brown rice which is of course healthier. I also like the taste of the curry with spinach on the side (sauteed in a bit of olive oil with almonds, salt, and pepper. Yum!)

You can also do this in a pot on the oven, just add the chicken to the sauce and cook on medium heat until chicken is cooked all the way through.

Let me know if you try this! I'd love to hear opinions!

No comments: