Thursday, October 17, 2013

Cultivating Gratitude

Today I'm joining Rachel for a gratitude post.  It's been awhile since I've shared what I'm grateful for, and while some things definitely stay the same (my family, a house of our own, etc.) the day-to-day-ness changes, well, daily.  I find myself needing a reminder every now and again that even though life is chaotic, often messy, and even downright hard at times, I have a lot to be grateful for.  And as Rachel says: "Because taking just a moment to appreciate what we have can change everything."

1.  Always, always, my children and husband are number one.  They will always be.  Even though life with small children is hard, it is also amazing.  They are the reasons I live and breathe.  They are the reasons I do so many of the things I do.  Also naptime, because then I get to do things like post on my blog and wash dishes.



2.  My piano.  I've been taking lessons since February.  I'm terrible.  But I can see the progress.  It's tangible.  And although I know Chris Martin would cringe if he heard me play his lovely songs, it makes me feel good.  I try to carve out at least 20 minutes everyday.  Oftentimes my youngest "helps" me play, which is less relaxing, but still good, because he is developing a love for music as well.

3.  My part-time freelance position.  Because even though most weeks I'm rushing to finish my 10-12 hours of work, and it's at times mind-numbingly boring, and at times incredibly frustrating, I know that some people don't even have a job.  And I just need to shut up and be grateful that I have the opportunity to be bored and frustrated (and just as often incredibly rewarded, as I'm the type of person who is really excited by the rush of finishing a project successfully.  And since I'm such a huge nerd, I'll just admit that I really like spreadsheets.)

4.  My naturopath.  She's helped me so much on my fitness journey.  I've cried at her, and been super frustrated (with myself) and she's always reminded me that I need to give myself a little more grace.  To admit that I'm doing the best I can; that it's ok--normal even--to slip up occasionally.  And when I'm successful, she cheers me on.

5.  Fall.  I love fall.  I'm grateful for the colors, and the brisk air (wearing layers is fun!,) and the promise of a cozy holiday season just around the corner.  And for pumpkins and squash that I've harvested from my garden.





6.  My sewing machine.  I'm grateful for this thing that (usually, unless I'm cursing a pattern or fabric) brings me joy.  Right now I'm using it to make Halloween costumes for my boys.  I'll be using it soon to sweatshop out some crayon rolls and pouches for upcoming craft fairs.  What could be better?




7.  My chickens.  Those little noisemakers are laying beautiful eggs that feed my family.  

8.  The fact that Eamon is eating a more varied diet.  With Sensory Processing Disorder, food is a huge issue for him.  We saw an occupational therapist for FOUR years.  We've been on an extended break since August and let me tell you, taking only ONE boy (Fini has SPD as well) to therapy ONE time a week is so much better than TWO.  But I digress.  Eamon will still put up a fight, and still has epic tantrums regarding food, but he will eat most things if we are strict about it.  And for that I am eternally grateful.

9.  My best friends.  Seriously.  They keep me grounded.  They are people to whom I can turn if I need an opinion, a reminder to keep my mouth shut, or a shoulder to cry on.  And since Jessica has moved away, I officially have no super close friends just down the road.  It's sucky.  But I'm still grateful for all of them.  Also, because they send me pictures of their babies wearing sweaters that I knit. 




10.  This song.  To Build A Home (by the Cinematic Orchestra/Patrick Watson)  It's been on repeat a lot lately.

3 comments:

Tracey said...

Jessie this is such a sweet post. You are so right, we need to take time and be grateful for all we have- healthy children and wonderful husbands. Thanks for your post- and for reminding me not to take everything for granted!

Jessie Keating said...

Aw, you're welcome! It's a good reminder for me too. :O)

Jessie Keating said...
This comment has been removed by the author.