Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Aliens and Pants, Aliens in Pants



(This picture has nothing to do with this post. I just like tea and scones.)

Wow. Tonight, as I sat at my desk, sewing away, I heard my husband start up the XBox. I think--maybe it was the PS3? Or the Wii? Anyway, I was sewing, content to manipulate the fabric, lulled into an almost cathartic state by the matching of seams, pinning, sewing, pressing, pinning again, the whir of my machine, and the background noise. Suddenly, I was jolted into reality by the sounds of crashing, banging, and yelling. "Honey," I said, "what are you doing?"

Jes replied, in a matter of fact tone, "Killing aliens."

"Oh."

This led me to analyze, as I was still busy sewing, half listening to my husband massacre extraterrestrial life-forms, my life, or more specifically, what it's like to be married to a geek. I'm not sure I came to any conclusions, except maybe that it's sometimes annoying. Of course, I'm not Miss Popularity myself--I love me some Settlers (of Cataan) now and again, and I'd rather sew or do otherwise crafty things than go out to clubs--but there is something seriously strange when I can be lulled back into my meditative state by the sounds of alien annihilation. I'm just saying.

(Relevant pictures tomorrow, I promise. Shop update? Not so much. Probably next week once the craziness of making a new home wears down.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the fact that we like our sewing, knitting, and general craftiness so much makes us geeks, too...though probably me more than you, seeing as you're married and it's expected. :)