Sunday, September 7, 2008

Preserving

Today I made blueberry jam, from fresh blueberries from the farmer's market. It was my second time making jam, but my first experience actually canning it (the first batch was more of a freezer-type jam. No pectin.) It came out beautifully, and I now have nine jars for this winter/spring. Next weekend I want to make apple cider jelly, with fresh cider from the market.

The entire time I was working, my mind was filled with memories of my (step) mother canning, preserving food for our large family for the winter. Each summer we would load up the truck with whatever fruit or vegetable was in season, and Dad and we would help prepare the food. Though I believe we may have been more of a hindrance than a help, because I seem to remember my parents doing most of the work. Regardless, the memories stuck with me all these years, and ever since moving out on my own I have thought of canning. This year, with a toddler to feed (the boy can eat when he wants to, and jam is especially a favorite) and some extra time on my hands, I am finally doing it. No, nothing like the giant stacks of jars weighing down the pantry shelves--and bag upon bag of vegetables in the giant freezer--that Mom made. No, my preservation is smaller and definitely simpler. But still, I'm proud of my nine sparkling jars of jam, sitting in my tiny pantry waiting to be devoured with fresh bread this winter. Hopefully my family will enjoy it, and maybe when my son is older he will remember his mother working away in the kitchen, storing food for a well-loved family.

1 comment:

syko kajsa said...

Good work! That is one of the activities that you get Moomin mama points for in my book :) I don't know if you are familiar with the Moomin books by the Finnish author Tove Jansson?