Thursday, October 25, 2012

My Personal Apothecary

Recently, I've taken an interest in natural remedies...I think it's linked to my work as a doula,but also in my own personal journey to become healthier and keep what my family consumes as natural as possible.  Plus, with some health issues cropping up in my family, I'm realizing that I'd like to try my hardest to not be at risk for cancer.

I'm currently reading three books by Susun Weed: Healing Wise, New Menopausal Years, and Breast Cancer? Breast Health! 

I have a some liver issues, so detoxing is important to me.  Currently, I like a tea made from a blend of nettles and milk thistle (both the crushed seeds and a tincture) with some peppermint to mask the bitter taste.  The larger jar is chamomile that I harvested from my garden, which on sleepless nights is a real lifesaver!  The next shelf over is Eamon's supplements, plus the family supply of elderberry syrup (which I definitely want to try to make myself--I've read that you can use dried berries, which I can get at my local health food store.)

Going into winter with a boy in kindergarten, playing in nasty kindergarten germs, I'm sure we'll have our share of viruses.  I've stocked up on Fisherman's Friend (my favorite sore throat lozenge,) buckwheat honey for coughs, and coconut oil to mix with eucalyptus oil or Uncle Harry's Breathing Mix, instead of Vick's Vaporub.  These things worked last year, so I'm crossing my fingers they work again this year.

What do you use?  Do you have anything natural that you use?

2 comments:

Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

I do a terrible job in this department. I always mean to be better, but "meaning to" doesn't get one far. LOL

Jessie Keating said...

It's a definite work in progress. I still resort to cough syrup if I have to. And prescription shots for my migraines. :(