Monday, April 6, 2015

Renton Art Walk


My paintings are up.  In public.  They have prices connected to them.  And it's a strange feeling.

They're not here, holed up in my studio.  They are in a different (nearby) city and people can see them if they happen to look in the window.  It feels like a part of myself is not at home.

We went to the art walk with some friends.  It was VERY WEIRD to have my friends looking at my paintings, and sharing their thoughts.  Reminiscent of art school, except without the giant class staring back as your art is torn apart by the teacher and your fellow classmates.  Build you up, tear you down, over and over again.  (Also, I think I may have PTSD from those few years of my life.  This is a major part of why it's taken me so long to feel comfortable enough sharing a tiny bit of my work.  Or to even feel comfortable enough to continue painting.  Art school is hard, yo.)

I had some prints made of The Kraken.  As soon as I'm satisfied with the quality from the printer, I'll put them in my Etsy shop.

Also, this is quite a process.  I don't have a good enough scanner to scan in the smaller paintings (and of course the larger one requires a drum scanner or digital photograph at the printer's shop.)  Each one has to be color corrected, and then test prints are printed, and then I have to approve them or send them back.  I can fully appreciate why artists price their prints the way they do!

I'm not 100% satisfied with the paper choices from the local printer, so I'm going to research a few more until I find what I want.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm open to sending in digital photos to a printer, as well as taking the paintings in locally to have them scanned and color corrected.

No comments: