Sunday, February 7, 2010

White Chicken Enchiladas

These have to be one of my all-time favorite comfort foods. They're quick, simple, and really, really good (especially when my mom makes them!) I'm definitely someone who throws things in a bowl without measuring, so bear with me.)

(No picture, because I can't take appetizing pictures of food.)

Jenea's White Chicken Enchiladas

2 Large Boneless Chicken Breasts, Cut into Small Cubes
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 C. Sour Cream
1 can Diced Green Chilies
2 Cups Shredded Cheese (I like a Monterey Jack/Cheddar Blend)
12 Tortillas

Cook the chicken over medium heat with a few tablespoons olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, mix the soup, sour cream, chilies, and 1/2 cup cheese in a medium bowl.

Spread a thin layer of the soup mixture in the bottom of (each*) pan.

I find it easiest to form an assembly line here: Chicken, Soup Mixture, Cheese, and Tortillas (Set your tortillas in a stack, separating between each to make rolling easier.)

Onto the first tortilla, spoon a few tablespoons of soup, then a few tablespoons of chicken, and a sprinkling of cheese. Roll the enchilada (I flip both sides into the middle, then using my thumbs flip the edge closest to me towards the middle, and roll away from me. Perfect burrito/enchilada shape every time!)

Place the enchilada into the pan, and repeat with the next tortilla until you are through. Squish them together a bit, keeping them all in a nice line.

You should have about 1/3 soup mixture left--spread that over the top of your enchiladas, and using a spoon make sure to slide some between each enchilada. Top with the remaining cheese (about 2/3 cup.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, until the cheese on top is bubbly and lightly browning!

*Makes 12 enchiladas--which is a triple batch for us. I put four in one pan for tonight's dinner, then four each in two pans, which will be double bagged and placed in the freezer for another dinner later.

2 comments:

Michelle, Queen Behind the Lens! said...

I make something very similar, only I add leftover brown rice, black beans, sauteed onions & carrots to the mix & I make the sauce myself using chicken broth, a flour/butter roux, milk & sour cream. A great used for leftover roasted chicken!

Jessie Keating said...

OOOOOhhh, good idea! I'll have to experiment a little! This recipe is just so easy and quick!